This call for entries is open to short films built up entirely with abstract (non-representational) imagery. Only Dots & Lines as ends in themselves!
We invite authors to focus on the expressivity of all the constituent elements of audiovisual art in its purest state: Colour, Motion, Form & Sound.
Participation is free | Online submissions.
· The films must be made entirely with abstract imagery, avoiding representation.
· You can use any technique you want: drawing, video composition, cgi, scratch, op·art, stop·motion, camera·less...
· The Soundtrack cannot feature any words. If you're using a song, this must be completely instrumental or feature non·narrative voices [that is, no lyrics!].
· Maximum running time is 8 minutes.
· We strongly advise you to enter your film/s in FULL HD / 1080p (1920 x 1080 / 24fps / progressive scan), as we'll screen all the selected works in that resolution.
· Our preferred formats are .MOV | .MP4. We kindly request not to compress the videos, or if needed, use Apple ProRes, H264 or x264 (lossless) codecs.
All people in the world are eligible to participate in this festival, whatever their age and formation. There is no entry fee.
· The intrinsic relationship between the Visual and the Sound tracks, and the quality and depth of the exploration of such relationship (40%).
· The pictorial expressivity of the visuals, in its use of colour/B&W, form and movement (20%).
· The work and exploration in the soundtrack composition (20%).
· The concept’s originality; how far and deep does the author take it, independently of whether s/he is exploring pure conceptual form, aesthetical expression and/or narrative (20%).
· Each author can submit as many works as s/he pleases, but only up to three works per author may be selected.
· Submitting your work does not guarantee exhibition at Punto y Raya Festival. The programing of the Competition will be determined by the festival selection committee, and all applicants will be notified of their final decision by e-mail.
· Stills of the selected works and the texts entered during the submission process will be published in our information sheets and/or website. Accordingly, entrants are respectfully requested to prepare graphics and texts meticulously, and to submit the stills in high resolution.
· The organisation will also devise teasers for TV and internet broadcasting, featuring excerpts from some of the selected films. These trailers are strictly to promote the event.
· Our international jury will award three Prizes, and might also give one Honourable Mention at their own discretion. Their verdict is final.
· There will also be an Audience Award.
· This year’s prizes and awards will be posted on our website as soon as we reach an agreement with the sponsors and collaborators.
The organisers of Punto y Raya Festival desire to make the results of the competition accessible to as large an audience as possible. To achieve this we are consolidating an international exhibition platform, encompassing -so far- +35 venues over 25 countries.
A compilation featuring the finalist and awarded films under the title "The Best of PyR 2016" will be screened at some of these venues. Therefore, by participating in this call, the author conveys the non-exclusive rights to screen his/her material at those venues, free of geographic restriction.
Submitting your film/s to this call entails the acceptance of these terms and conditions, as well as the interpretation and decisions of the festival selection committee and jury. Any issues unforeseen in these rules will be sorted out by the festival organisers.
By taking part in our call, participants confirm being the owners of any license, copyrights and image/sound rights. MAD and all other institutions involved decline all legal responsibility for the films and their content.